We are CPRE, the countryside charity. We work with communities, businesses and government to ensure that our countryside and green spaces can thrive.
Our aim is to promote the beauty, tranquility and diversity of the countryside in the Peak District and South Yorkshire for everyone to enjoy now and in the future.
We want to see
- Green spaces unspoilt by development
- Environmentally friendly farming and forestry
- Thriving villages and attractive towns, connected by excellent public transport
Our roles include
- Scrutinising and challenging planning applications, development and transport plans
- Principled campaigning through careful research and raising public awareness
- Supporting community groups and providing knowledge, skills and assistance
- Advocating for high standards in landscape and building design
- Championing sustainable countryside management
We were established in 1924 and became a branch of CPRE in 1926. We created a new brand Friends of the Peak District. in 2002 but we are now and have always been CPRE Peak District and South Yorkshire.